|“||Our little girl went on her first date!||”|
Lucas asks for Cory’s permission to go on a date with Riley, to which he agrees as long as Maya and Farkle go with them as chaperones. Auggie and Ava get "married".
The episode begins with Cory walking down the stairs talking to himself about the end of the year and how this is the time kids start going on dates. He then says he is glad he doesn't have to worry about anything like that happening with Riley, but the words are barely out of his mouth when he catches Riley and Lucas exchanging loving looks with one other; he quickly grabs up Riley and carries her into the classroom slamming the door in Lucas' face. He is about to give Riley the talk before she quickly stops him. He then runs to the classroom's back door to again keep Lucas from coming in, but Lucas pushes it open and questions what Cory is afraid of.
Tired of waiting on something to happen, Maya takes matters into her own hands and asks Lucas out; Riley is shocked and angry, but Maya swears she has an ulterior motive. Her plan, of course, works, and Lucas comes by the Matthews' apartment to ask for Cory’s blessing to take Riley out. While there, Cory's younger brother Joshua (on whom Maya has a crush) pays a visit to announce he'll be in New York all summer as part of the NYU pre-college program. Cory begs Joshua to tell Riley that she is too young to go out on her first date, but instead Joshua congratulates her. Maya is wanting Joshua to ask her out on a date, but Joshua, after again reminding Maya of their age difference (three years, which is not a big deal to Maya), quickly excuses himself as he has an appointment with his campus advisor downstairs. Farkle then arrives to ask Riley out, and Cory reluctantly gives his blessing to Lucas, but with one condition: Farkle and Maya have to go with them and make it a double date. Riley and Maya later go to Svorski's discussing logistics when Riley catches Joshua sitting (and flirting) with an attractive girl who happens to be his campus advisor. Riley tries to keep Maya from seeing it, but fails. Before they leave, Maya muses that the best thing about going out with Farkle is she won't get hurt no matter what happens.
Riley and Maya later get dressed up and meet Lucas and Farkle at the Bleecker Street Subway Station. When Lucas first sees Riley dressed up he mentions it's a moment he will never forget. The four begin their double date by getting on the subway, where Maya happens to see Joshua getting turned down for a date by Sophie, his NYU campus advisor and tour guide from earlier, as she announces that she is too old for him. Maya sits with Joshua and shares a little moment with him over the fact that he got rejected for a date in the same way he rejected Maya. They come to something of an understanding, but Maya is still heartbroken as Joshua gets off the train. Seeing this, Lucas tells Riley to go comfort her friend. Touched by the gesture, Maya makes it up to Riley by, as before, releasing Riley's hold on the safety bar as the train brakes, causing her to again drift towards Lucas and fall into his lap; she seizes the opportunity, and gives Lucas a quick but very important kiss.
- Rowan Blanchard as Riley Matthews
- Ben Savage as Cory Matthews
- Sabrina Carpenter as Maya Hart
- Peyton Meyer as Lucas Friar
- August Maturo as Auggie Matthews
- Danielle Fishel as Topanga Matthews
- Samantha Boscarino as Sophie Miller
|“||Riley, I'm begging you to stay in Never Land, okay? No growing up.||”|
|“||I decide who I will go with on my first date with, at such time if somebody asks me!||”|
|“||Niece! Welcome to the party, guys! Enjoy!||”|
—Joshua to Riley
Cory: Ok what is going on?
Maya: Farkle kissed my hand!
Cory: You did?
Farkle: It was glorius.
Maya: It was. I went home and questioned everything.
Cory: [To Riley] And where were you while all of this hand kissing was going on?
Riley: Nowhere with no one doing nothing with nobody!
- Second and final episode directed by Rider Strong for season 1, the other was Girl Meets 1961. He will direct several others (mostly co-directed with his brother, Shiloh,) in season 2.
- Riley and Lucas have their first date and kiss in this episode.
- Topanga mentions various "first dates" with Cory, a reference to their backstory constantly changing on Boy Meets World:
- Two years old, played in the playground
- Eight years old, Catching fireflies (from the BMW Season 2 episode "What I Meant to Say")
- 6th grade, kissed against the lockers (From the BMW Season 1 episode, Cory's Alternate Friends)
- Threw socks into a laundry basket (From the BMW Season 1 episode, Boy Meets Girl)
- Cory falls into a llama pen at the zoo and mentioned: it was his first date with Shawn. (From the BMW Season 5 episode, It's Not You... It's Me)
- Shawn Hunter was mentioned in this episode by Topanga.
- The way that Maya ask Lucas on a date is closely similar to how Shawn asked Topanga on a date in the Boy Meets World Season 3 episode "My Best Friend's Girl".
- Farkle brought a miniature version, and wore a shirt bearing the flag of Belgium, in anticipation of learning what happened there in 1831.
- Cory's lesson of Belgium's independence from the Dutch in 1831 (from Girl Meets Crazy Hat) is interrupted again, and will become a running joke in the second season.
- Maya and Riley recreated the scene from the episode Girl Meets World (episode), Where Riley falls into Lucas' lap.
- Josh understands how it feels about the three year age difference.
- An ongoing issue with the show is that Josh is said to be 17 and thus 3 years older than Maya (and 3 years younger than his NYC guide). While the guide is 6 years older than Maya (20 vs 14), Josh should only be 16 based on his birthdate established in BWM (February 14, 1999) and should therefore only be not quite 2 years older than Maya and FOUR years younger than his guide. The only other explanation for this would be that the episode takes place in 2016, but Cory and Topanga recently celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary, which would have been in late 2014.
- When they were Auggie's age, Cory would introduce Topanga as his "wife."
- First mention of Emma Weathersby, Auggie and Ava's classmate who will appear in Girl Meets Commonism.
- As of this episode, Darby and Yogi, are a couple.
- From Girl Meets Sneak Attack, the scene where Maya protects Riley from the fact the Lucas and Missy are flirting is mirrored, only this time, Riley attempts, but fails, to protect Maya from seeing Josh and the girl from NYU in the bakery.
- This episode is the Season 1 finale, however, an extra episode, Girl Meets Demolition aired after this with the Season 1 theme.
- As Cory scoops up Riley and races for the door, Sarah and Wyatt are clearly still in the hallway, and no one else is there, but after Lucas is locked out and Riley is deposited at her desk, everyone is in the classroom.
- April 17, 2015 (Canada)
- May 7, 2015 (Australia)
- May 17, 2015 (Italy)
- May 23, 2015 (Romania, Bulgaria)
- June 2, 2015 (Germany)
- August 7, 2015 (UK and Ireland)
- August 8, 2015 (Latin America, Brazil)
- August 15, 2015 (Middle East, Africa, Poland)
- August 31, 2015 (Israel)
- September 4, 2015 (Spain, Portugal)
- September 26, 2015 (Czech Republic, Hungary)
- September 6, 2016 (Philippines)
| The image gallery for Girl Meets First Date may be viewed here.
| To view the Girl Meets First Date transcript, click here.