|“||The rules are there to help us.||”|
When the entire class gets detention, the class divides and chaos ensues. Meanwhile, Auggie's friend Ava attempts to be nicer when she thinks she's losing him to another girl.
When Cory's class realize he's late, Farkle freaks out about the prospect of a substitute teacher, but Riley is confident Cory will arrive soon. Maya soon decides that since Cory isn't there, it's Maya time - time to take back the toys he's confiscated from them. Riley isn't comfortable breaking the rules, but Maya calls on "ring power" to make Riley follow her. Maya convinces Riley to join her in firing a ping-pong gun. The class descends into chaos, except for Lucas who remains still. When Cory finally arrives, he wants to know why they disregarded the rules. The whole class apologizes, except Lucas - who says he never does anything. As a punishment, Cory gives the whole class detention - except for Lucas the Good. Fearing this will hurt his reputation, Lucas uses his cellphone in class to make Cory give him detention, too.
In detention, Cory says he usually gives them leeway around the rules because they're good students - but not today. Maya doesn't think they need rules and says she'd do pretty well in a world without rules, which the rest of the class agree with, except Riley. Cory tells them they can be without rules for the next hour, but he thinks they'll be eating each other after a minute. Cory locks them in the class as he thinks the best punishment he can give them is to be with themselves. Although Maya wants to show Cory they can get through this without acting like a pack of animals,, Lucas, Maya and Riley are soon hungry and eyeing Farkle up. Riley wants to create a perfect society - Rileytown, but Maya decides to make her own place that isn't so nice and orderly, Mayaville.
Elsewhere, Topanga answers the door to Ava, who's upset that she's losing Auggie to a more polite girl. Ava wants Topanga's help to pretend to be nicer. Back at school, when Riley wonders why the kids in Mayaville can't just follow her lead and be good, wherein Farkle admits they're not all like her. He says the reason he can't choose between them is life with either one would be too intense. When Maya notices Cory forgot to lock the back door, she and her followers escape detention. Lucas joins Maya as he's fed up with never doing anything, re-channeling "Texas Lucas". When Riley talks to her followers, they say they admire her but wish they'd followed the others out of the class. When Janitor Harley enters the classroom, he wonders why the kids in there when everybody is having much more fun outside the classroom. When Janitor Harley is surprised to hear Riley, "little Zippy", crossed the line, she says it's because Maya influenced her - something he's noticed over the years. He wonders why the kids are staying in detention even though the door's wide open and the other group is rampaging up and down the hallways. Janitor Harley says this lesson has Cory written all over it.
After running up the hallway dressed in warpaint, Lucas and Farkle are disappointed that none of the good kids were around to see it. When Janitor Harley shows up, he says he always found it important to be around the good kids, since everybody has good parts that can be brought out in the right company. Harley admits he used to be intimidating, but then he met a good guy. Maya agrees they need a good kid around them to find their good parts, so they should steal one. As Riley sort of plays "Duck, Duck, Goose", the Mayavillagers storm in and kidnap her, throwing a large net bag over her head.
After being carried out into the hallway, Riley wants the bad kids to clean up their faces. As she cleans the paint off Lucas's face, he mentions he now goes by the nickname "Mad Dog". After wondering if Riley would call him that, she says no since he won't call her Princess Dancing Sunshine. Elsewhere, when Auggie arrives home he's unhappy with Ava's new personality. He says being polite is fine but it can be tiring, which is why he likes Ava just the way she is.
After Maya leads her new followers back to class, she and Riley chat about their experience. When Cory returns and tells them detention's over, Riley and Maya ask about the secret of life - people changing people. Maya wonders how you can avoid changing back if you're away from the people who changed you. Cory calls Janitor Harley in, who was watching the kids like a hawk. Harley tells Cory that everyone went nuts, except Riley, who says she'd never go nuts without Maya. Harley says Maya was the ring leader, and she says without Riley she might never come back. Cory excuses everyone in the class except Maya. When Maya asks Harley what changed him, Harley says there's always two doors and that Cory showed him the other one. After telling Maya that the most important thing he can teach her is that there are consequences to our actions, Cory leaves her in detention for another hour. Riley sits and waits for Maya outside the classroom.
After hanging out with Auggie, Ava asks Topanga to throw her out. When Topanga admits that Ava is finally starting to grow on her, Auggie tells Topanga that he was ready to stop seeing Ava if Topanga still didn't like her as her happiness is the most important thing to him. Auggie admits it was just a fake out - something he learnt from Ava and Topanga.
- Rowan Blanchard as Riley Matthews
- Ben Savage as Cory Matthews
- Sabrina Carpenter as Maya Hart
- Peyton Meyer as Lucas Friar
- August Maturo as Auggie Matthews
- Corey Fogelmanis as Farkle Minkus
- Danielle Fishel as Topanga Matthews
- Danny McNulty as Harley Keiner
- Ava Kolker as Ava Morgenstern
- Sarah Carpenter as Sarah
- Darby Walker as Darby
- Jade Holden as Jade
- Hunter Wickham as Dave
|“||You. Come here, right now. Ring power!||”|
—-Maya to Riley
|“||I need to be both of you||”|
—-Farkle to Maya and Riley
|“||This lesson has your father written all over it||”|
—-Janitor Harley to Riley
|“||She's better when you're with her.||”|
—-Sarah, says to Riley about Maya
|“||I was without Maya. Without Maya, I don't think I'd ever unfold my hands.||”|
|“||I was without Riley. Without Riley, I may never come back.||”|
|“||I'll try better next time.||”|
—-Maya to Cory
—-Cory to Maya
|“|| Maya:Next time I'm gonna put more paint on Riley's Face|
Cory: I'm sure she's counting on it
—-Riley (looking in the door window when she heard Maya call her name)
|“|| Ava:Thank You
Topanga: My pleasure
|“||I'm going down, sir. Oh, he's not even here.||”|
—Farkle, just before he falls off the chair onto the floor
|“||We lost Farkle!||”|
—Riley after Farkle falls.
- This was the final episode Rowan Blanchard and Sabrina Carpenter filmed before they shot their respective DCOMs.
- Third appearance of Janitor Harley, and the first in the second season.
- The plot is similar to the book "Lord of the Flies" Written by William Golding.
- Farkle's Latin quote is from Lewis Carroll's Alice In Wonderland.
- Danny McNulty's name is given as "David" in the credits.
- References to Girl Meets the Secret of Life are made.
- Topanga witnessing Ava's entrance mirrored a similar sequence involving Auggie (including chocolate cake and whipped cream) from Girl Meets Smackle.
- For this single episode, a vending machine is placed over the door to the Girl's restroom. Also, the hallway in front of the History classroom windows is disguised as the second floor by the placing of "Art Room" signs over the Gymnasium doors.
- Ava calls Auggie by his full name, August.
- Second mention of Auggie's classmate, Emma Weathersby.
- As she did in the pilot, Maya stands on Farkle's desk.
- For the first time, Ava Kolker is credited as Ava Morgenstern instead of just merely Ava.
- First mention of the DC Comics character Batman (who will become a topic of study in "Girl Meets the New Teacher') despite the fact that Disney actually owns the rival Marvel Comics Group range of characters.
- Eric Matthews stated "I'm Batman," in the sixth season BMW episode "Honesty Night." At the time, Will Friedle was also providing the voice of Terry McGuiness, the titular character of the animated series Batman Beyond.
- Farkle and Lucas wanted to be called "Batman" and "Mad Dog," respectively.
- Harley was part of lesson acting as Cory's proctor.
- Janitor Harley called Riley "Little Zippy" and "Zippy".
- Lucas picks being with Maya over being with Riley.
- Lucas had Cory's cell phone number when he sent Cory a text to get himself into detention.
- There is a reference to the "Girl Meets the Secret of Life" lesson: "People change people".
- The way Cory holds and shakes the key at the window is similar to the Boy Meets World episode "And Then There Was Shawn", when the janitor holds and shakes the keys when Feeny's class has detention.
- As shown in the promotional pictures, there were deleted scenes with Maya teaching the "Good Kids" how to have fun.
- There was a deleted scene when Farkle's "hungry" friends imagined him as a roast turkey.
- Rileytown Students
- Mayaville Students
- When detention is dismissed and Maya and Cory are talking in the classroom, the backdoor is open. But when Maya is alone and Riley sits outside the front door, when the camera goes back to Maya, the door is closed.
- November 20, 2015 (UK)
- December 19, 2015 (Hungary)
- December 25, 2015 (The Netherlands and Belgium)
- January 9, 2016 (Romania)
- January 19, 2016 (Latin America and Brazil)
- February 1, 2016 (Israel)
- February 21, 2016 (Italy)
- February 26, 2016 (Poland)
| The image gallery for Girl Meets Rules may be viewed here.
| To view the Girl Meets Rules transcript, click here.