|“||How do you feel about him, Maya?||”|
Girl Meets Texas (Part 1) is the twentieth episode in season 2 of Girl Meets World and the 41st episode overall. It also serves as the first part in the 3-part event. It aired on October 16, 2015 to 2.9 million viewers.
Riley, Maya, and Farkle head to Texas with Lucas, who has been entered in the bull-riding competition at the rodeo in his hometown.
PlotAs class is about to begin, Riley and Maya enter the classroom announcing to Lucas that they're about to change his life. After Zay told them about Lucas' biggest and darkest secret-- that when he was five years old he fell off Judy the sheep during a Mutton Busting Rodeo, they decide to sign him up for another round, although this time he'd be riding what they think is Tombstone the sheep and not Judy. Lucas and Zay are immediately taken aback by this, and after Maya reads the paper properly, she realizes Tombstone is not a sheep, but a bull, but they don't understand why Lucas and Zay are frightened.
Cory walks in and begins class, talking about the railroad; his class is soon interrupted by Pappy Joe, Lucas' grandfather, who has traveled on the train all the way from Austin, Texas to take Lucas and Zay back to Austin so that Lucas can ride Tombstone. Pappy Joe talks about how Lucas was an embarrassment to the community when he fell off a sheep in tournament.
Much to Lucas' surprise (and chagrin), Riley, Farkle and Maya join Lucas, Zay and Pappy Joe on the train to Austin. Once they get settled in at Pappy Joe's ranch house, Riley and Maya fashion themselves a bay window in Pappy Joe's living room, and then the group is interrupted by the appearance of Cletus, a family friend who is also a ranch hand and rodeo clown; Cletus frantically tells Pappy Joe that Tombstone went crazy and had to be heavily sedated after he "brammoed" (escaped from) his pen, and that he pities whoever has to ride him when he wakes up. When he realizes Lucas will be the one riding him, Cletus gives him a sad look and quietly leaves.
The next day, Lucas becomes nervous when he sees Tombstone; he asks Riley and Maya why they want him to die, but having never actually seen a bull, they dismiss his fear. They walk into an air conditioned tent and finally see other people competing in the rodeo, most of them getting injured. Maya becomes genuinely concerned and immediately tells Lucas not to ride the bull, but Riley supports Lucas, as she believes he should try his best and that he could do whatever he tries. Maya tells Lucas that if he rides the bull, she will never speak to him again, but Riley still encourages him to ride the bull.
As Lucas goes to mount the bull for his ride, Maya, unable to watch, wanders away. Riley starts off to follow her, but Lucas asks her to watch him for support, to which she agrees. Lucas gets on Tombstone, and enters the rodeo. He is eventually thrown off the bull and hits the ground, but doesn't get up right away. Concerned, Riley, followed by Farkle and Zay, run to his side and Lucas slowly gets up; his ride time is 4.468 seconds, shattering the former record of 3.7 seconds and winning the "Master of Tombstone" award, to the pride of Pappy Joe and the others. When Riley sees Maya worriedly watching from a distance, she realizes that Maya likes Lucas.
Riley goes to Maya, and tells her that since they are sisters, they should tell each other their secrets. Riley reveals that she's aware that Maya thinks that Riley only likes Lucas as a brother, but also reveals to Maya that she now knows that Maya likes Lucas, which is why she makes fun of him; Riley then reiterates to Maya that she does, in fact, love Lucas as a brother.
Riley and Maya return to Pappy Joe's, where Riley tells Lucas that while she likes being able to talk to him, they weren't able to do so when they were a couple. She then tells him that she loves him as a brother. When Lucas asks if that's how she feels, she agrees, adding that he is her brother and she is his sister and that she loves him. She then asks Maya how she feels about Lucas, as Zay and Farkle watch...
**END OF PART ONE**
- Rowan Blanchard as Riley Matthews
- Ben Savage as Cory Matthews
- Sabrina Carpenter as Maya Hart
- Peyton Meyer as Lucas Friar
- Corey Fogelmanis as Farkle Minkus
- Amir Mitchell-Townes as Zay Babineaux
- M.C. Gainey as Pappy Joe
- Tahmus Rounds as Cletis
- Madison Mason as McCullough
- Jack Doke as Timmy McCullough
- Candi Milo as Rodeo Waitress
- February 6, 2016 (France)
- April 15, 2016 (UK and Ireland)
- April 25, 2016 (Israel)
- June 26, 2016 (Latin America, Brazil)
|“||You couldn't watch him because you were afraid something would happen to him. Because you like him. You make fun of him because you like him.||”|
|“||You signed me up to ride Tombstone the bull!||”|
Cletis: Har hur!
Cletis: Har hurrr!!
Maya: Oh, uh, [clears throat]
[Moves Cletis' and Lucas's heads until their on eye level, and facing one another]
Cletis: Har huuuuurrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maya: I know it's early but, my life is complete.
Cletis: Well, thankee.
Maya: No, thank-ee!
|“||I am never speaking to you again.||”|
|“||Sisters should tell each other their secrets.||”|
|“||You are really important to me too, Lucas. We've always been really good at talking to each other. But we've never been too good at holding hands. And then we tried being a couple, and we couldn't even talk to each other. I don't want that. I want to know you're always there to talk to. You're my brother, Lucas. And I'm your sister.||”|
|“||I will ride you.||”|
—Lucas to Tombstone the bull
|“||Well, you're right. That's how I love him. I love him like a brother.||”|
- August Maturo (Auggie Matthews) and Danielle Fishel (Topanga Matthews) do not appear in this episode, although Topanga appeared in the pencil drawing on the map when the gang took off on the train so it's likely that Cory and Topanga were there at the train station.
- This is the 200th appearance of Cory Matthews (counting his cameo in the "Acting Out" episode of Maybe This Time).
- This episode was written by Michael Jacobs, the creator of both Boy & Girl Meets World, as well as by Matthew Nelson, a veteran BMW writer. The episode was also co-directed by Rider Strong, who played Shawn Hunter.
- Lucas' Pappy Joe was first mentioned in Girl Meets Pluto.
- The gang heads to Austin, Texas.
- References to Girl Meets the New World are made.
- In this episode, Riley realizes Maya has a crush on Lucas.
- This marks the first Girl Meets World episode where Topanga doesn't make an appearance.
- In the first promo of the three part episode, the green screens where the TVs are at in the tent are seen.
- Cheryl Texiera confirms that a scene where Maya gets permission from Katy to go to Texas was filmed, but was edited out.
- Peyton Meyer confirmed that the cast filmed on location for the first two parts, rather than on a set.
| The image gallery for Girl Meets Texas (Part 1) may be viewed here.
| To view the Girl Meets Texas (Part 1) transcript, click here.